Powered By Blogger

Welcome to my blog!

Erm... Am I supposed to write something interesting here?

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Childhood memories

What memories of your own childhood come to mind as you read about Scout's experiences?

When Scout and Jem were children, they played many different games - rolling in tyres, acting out dramas and building tree-houses, and in the summer, with Dill. Also, other than just having fun playing, they were also taught basic etiquette and moral values by their father, Atticus Finch, and their housekeeper, Calpurnia. Calpurnia taught Scout how to read and write, with Atticus also encouraging her to read by letting her read the newspaper with him. Calpurnia also taught Scout basic respect and manners, while Atticus taught Scout some moral values such as not to be prejudicial and not to let anger overcome one's rational thought. Throughout Scout's childhood, there was also what Scout thought to be a monster living in the Radley place, that is, Arthur Radley, also known as Boo Radley. This is typical of a normal childhood - games, lessons and using one's imagination in order to create monster's in order to have excitement. Even the poorest of the poor usually have similar elements in their childhood, although the games they play might be simpler, or at least cost a lesser amount of money, the lessons they learn possibly more related to survival, and the monsters they create using their imaginations possibly residing more commonly in streets, instead of houses.

I had a similar childhood experience. I played many games as a child, creating my own games with my mind since I was not allowed to play the computer, playing card games, using Lego blocks and other Lego products to make my own creations, and solving puzzles. When I was even younger than that, I played with Beyblades, which are modifiable tops, as well as with action figures. When I was young, I was taught the multiplication table up to twelve, which probably explains why I am rather good at Mathematics. I was also sent to many enrichment classes to learn new skills. Moral values that I learnt from young was not to lie, not to steal and to excel in whatever I set out to do. When I was young, my friends and I also enjoyed sharing ghost stories and thinking that certain rooms in our school contained ghosts. Of course, we never truly believed that, unlike how Scout and Jem believed that Boo Radley was a monster, probably because of a different upbringing, where I was taught since young that ghosts and monsters do not exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment